“Kill your darlings, kill your darlings, even when it breaks your egocentric little scribbler’s heart, kill your darlings.”
― Stephen King, On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Delegates are invited to submit the opening paragraph of your novel to be edited live by a panel of top writers, including Canadian author, Kate Pullinger, the Acorn Foundation Literary Award winner at this years Ockham New Zealand Book Awards, Stephen Daisley, and award winning YA novelist Anna Mackenzie. Chaired by Kyle Mewburn, president of NZ Society of Authors, this will be a thrilling experience. Your work will be the focus of some of the sharpest literary minds, in a live experience that will be as instructive as it is entertaining!
Submission instructions: Please read the following instructions carefully.
- You must have purchased a ticket to attend the National Writers Forum to be eligible for entry
- You must complete the online form on the National Writers Forum website and pay the $10 administration fee in order to submit your work
- Please email programmeNWF@gmail.com with ‘Live Live Submission’ in the subject line
- Include in your email a word document attachment containing the opening paragraph of your novel, using double spacing.
- Include your name in the email.
Once your submission has been received, you will be issued with a number. Submissions will be randomly drawn for live editing during the session – there will not be time to live edit every submission. Entry numbers will be displayed alongside paragraphs, in place of names, so that the writers remain anonymous.